Friday, August 26, 2011

Day Twenty-Six

Eric from his computer
We're almost at the finish line.  So thinking about what I've learned.

My original goal was to see if we could feed ourselves.  Secondly, I wanted to know what we needed more or less of to make our diet wonderful.  Thirdly, I wanted to see what effect it would have on us both physically and psychologically.

As to the first goal, we succeeded way better than I thought we would before we started.  We had a wide variety of foods to choose from and our meals were varied for the most part.  We have enough planted to feed our family and more.

We have the right amount of bananas and papaya and other fruits planted.  We enjoyed that it was pineapple season and having oranges, lemons, and limes is nice.  One key for someone else trying to do this is to have sugar cane.  It blends with every other fruit, and satisfies any craving for sweets.  Plus sugar cane is loaded with vitamins and minerals.  I have too much taro.  It goes a long way.  However, if all else fails, taro is a dependable staple that fills you up and provides most dietary needs.

I purchased two macadamia nut trees and another lime from my sister's nursery and planted those this evening.

The key to having greens and lettuce is to plant a little bit each month.  I will consolidate my greens and vegetable gardens in the future, planting closer and more intensely.

The physical effect was that I lost 10 pounds.  I feel much better in that I feel lighter and more energetic.  I used to huff and puff toting my fat ass up the hill to the upper garden.  Now I skip up the hill.  That, my friends, is a BIG deal.  At 58 years old, to walk up hills effortlessly is NICE.

Psychologically I did pretty well.  I had a few cravings in the first weeks, but it was overshadowed by my determination to see this experiment through.  I am torn because I miss some of the old foods, but feel so good I don't want to return to the unhealthful habits.  I hope I can strike a good balance in the weeks and months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment