Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day Fifteen

Diner, fried eggs with pesto and sauteed beet tops
Aloha! Jennifer here...

After two weeks (and I might add the halfway mark) I'm ready to make some comments. I have learned alot about what it means to 'eat what you grow'- the challenges 
and the positive effects. So I'll mention some of the hurdles. 


I'm amazed at how much time is consumed in consuming from the garden. There is the discussion about the menu, the harvesting, the cleaning (and I am a fanatic about that), the prep, actual cooking and cleaning up afterwards. For example, fresh guava juice is mighty ono yet it takes about an hour to make because you have to walk to the end of the long driveway, pick the fruit, wash it, cut it in the right size pieces and process it in the Champion. Then you have to pick the sugarcane, machete it into the right size pieces and process it. Well that keeps us occupied until it is time to prepare whatever else will grace our plates. Please don't take this as complaining...it is a simple fact. I don't mind because I HAVE the time and the time is happily spent with Eric. So there are some logistic challenges. 


Another challenge is purely emotional...I MISS MY CHOCOLATE. I do have a periodic habit and the withdrawals have made it so apparent. As a matter of fact, in the first week, I would eat a hearty ono meal and be 'looking' for more. My body was 'looking' for sugar! I have a new understanding for obesity, and even how those unwanted libbies can sneak up on you. 


On the bright note, I am loving doing this with Eric. I have never done it before although I've done half a dozen fasts. We are supporting each other, creating together and finding another way to spend quality time (which I treasure). 

I highly recommend this to each and every one of you. It is an experiment, a change, an opportunity to know yourself more. And it is delicious and seriously healthy to boot.

Namaste 

No comments:

Post a Comment