Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day Twenty-Seven

Salad and Chicken Soup
I love the weekend when I can just hang at home.  Today was a spectacularly beautiful day, blue skies, some billowy clouds, lush green fields, deep blue calm ocean.  Drake visited today and about 5:00 I drove him home.  Right when were entering Hilo a rainbow graced the harbor.  Half circle to start, then turning full and by the time we reached Drakes house it was a brilliant double rainbow.  Lucky we live Hawaii.

This morning I harvested an older hen and made Chicken Stock with my new slow cook electric crock pot.  It was the first time using the crock pot and it worked very well.  We are off the grid and get our electricity free from the river so I was pleased that the crock slow cooked all day and didn't take much power.  Even though the hen was older the slow cook process made the meat very tender.   I added pumpkin squash and beet leaves to about a third of the stock to make tonights dinner.  I poured off most of the liquid to have Chicken Stock for future soups.  I kept most of the meat and vegetables in a separate container for a undetermined creation for tomorrow night.



1 comment:

  1. Eric, thank you so much for doing this. I have thoroughly enjoyed following your blog. It almost feels like I've been on part of the journey with you. Originally when you started this I thought..."ok...this is something I've always wanted to try, but I'm not quite there yet production-wise...maybe next year." I just wanted to thank you for showing me that I don't have to wait until next year. I grow more than enough to sustain, its just a matter of being creative with what I have and making the conscious choice to eat what I grow (or what grows wild around us).

    Thanks again to you and Jennifer for the inspiration.

    -Leanne Okamoto

    ReplyDelete