Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day Sixteen

Aerial View

It was a calm afternoon, although a bit cloudy.  But still nice enough to take off from my front yard in my motorized paraglider and take a few aerial photos.  Our vegetables are grown in 4 of the 6 hoop houses and in the garden space located above our house which is fenced off from the wild pigs.  Although we have lots of space on our property, the gardens take up very little land area.
House, gardens, hoop-houses and Hanawai River

I got up early today and made some fresh sugar cane juice for our banana pineapple smoothies.  Jennifer had a taro burger for lunch and I finished off the chicken bean soup I made over the weekend.

Freshly harvested beets

Jennifer and I harvested beets, green beans and lettuce for dinner.  Those beets are the size of soft balls.  We also cleaned the beet tops and put them in the fridge for stir fry tomorrow night.

Before preparing dinner and while enjoying our lime sugar cane juice cocktail, Jennifer and I were reflecting on how blessed we are.  We know we can provide our own food as everything we've been eating for the last two weeks I grew.  This is no longer a fantasy.  When people hear what we are doing, they say it is "so cool."  But I know that most of them have some excuse to carry on as they always have and deep down believe they could never do this.  As I said in my very first post in this blog on Jan 1, 2011, this blog is for me.  It is about me finding independence and the power of self reliance, not what others do or don't do.  I am trying to "be the change I want to see."



No comments:

Post a Comment